Thursday, January 19, 2012

Unexpected visitor

Early Tuesday evening I was about to start doing the bed time routine with the kids when my husbeast came inside and said he had something to show me but I had to come straight away!!
I could hear the excitement in the voice as he said this so I thought it must of been something pretty good.
I stopped what I was doing, threw on my thongs and followed him outside.

As we got to the end of the verandah he told me there was a peacock in the paddock next to our house. I thought it was just another one of his jokes. He is always joking around try to trick me so of course I didn't believe him.
But I followed him across the front yard anyway, expecting to see one of the many native pigeon birds (yes that is my technical name for them)  that live in this area.
Then there she was, walking around pecking at the ground. I couldn't believe my eyes, a real live peahen  right in my front yard! I was like a kid on Christmas eve.

Its not like I have never seen a peacock in real life, I have on many occasions. I was just that it was AT MY HOUSE!

I called out for Miss T to quickly go and get the camera so I could get a few pics of her. She was gorgeous (not as pretty as a male but still gorgeous in my eyes) and moved so gracefully.
I took a few snapshots from a distance, then crept my way towards her. I got a few more pics of her and then she flew up into the top of the tallest gumtree at the end of our driveway.

I rang the local animal rescue people but they said there wasn't anything they could do because she wasn't injured and being up the top of a gumtree they couldn't reach her anyway.

I have kept an eye out for her but haven't seen her since. I just hope she made her way back to were she came from (be it someones backyard aviary or the local botanical gardens, as they have peacocks there that wonder around) or at least is safe and well where ever she ended up.





Not the best photos unfortunately. I was so excited I didn't check what setting the camera was on. Turns out it was on video mode :( Bugger!

1 comment: